DARK(E) Families of DEVON
- London, Ontario, Canada - WebPage
- William DARK had at least two children:
- George DARK (born about 1820)
married in 1847 (Mitchell, Ontario) to Anne FURSMAN.
In Sep 1847, George rented land in Fullarton township.
In 1853, with three children, the family moved to Grey township,
Huron County (lot 9 con 11).
Family stories indicate George and Ann came from Devon,
perhaps Barnstaple and Bideford.
- Susannah DARK (born about 1824)
married on 9Aug1852 (Newport, Wales) to John JONES.
The day after thier wedding, Susan and John left for Bristol,
and from there sailed for New York, USA.
After a few months, the couple settled in Grey township,
Huron County (lot 9, con 10).
- Ickenham, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UK
Arthur has published (CDROM, Golden Jubilee edition 2002; revised Feb.2004, Jun.2007) a family history titled
“Dark of Parkham”
about the DARK family of North Devon.
I have had my Y chromosome DNA analysed by Familytree DNA. I have done this because I think that DNA analysis offers the only realistic way of proving or disproving a genetic connection between the not very numerous groups of individuals with the name.
The attached file explains what I have done.
- Rainham, Kent, UK
- John DARKE, a tailor, married Sarah (nee REED).
- Sarah Drew DARKE (born 16 Jan 1840, Whimple, Devon, England, died 1924)
married Charles Samuel COPPEN 23 May 1877.
A witness at the marriage was a Mary Ann DARKE.
- Nepean, Ontario, Canada
William CORNISH of Holsworthy married Susanna DARK(E)
in Holsworthy 28 April 1789.
Their five children were Wilmot (my ancestor), Daniel, Mary, Roger and Philip.
- James Darke married Charlotte Gould 1807 at Dalwood.
- Children: William (1813), Charles (1815), Charles (1819), Mary (1821),
Daniel (1823), Ann (1829), Francis (1826).
- William married Sarah Spurway 1837 at Dalwood.
- Children: Mary (1838), Samuel James (1840), Charles (1843),
William (1845-1929), Ann (1848), Etta (1850).
- William married Sarah Ann Thomas 1867 at Wiodworthy.
- Children: Jesse (1868), Bessie (1871), Frank (1872), Harry (1877),
Thomas (1880), Eli (1884-1961), Ernest (1886).
- Hereford, England
Marwood Dark was born 1850 or 1853.
He married Annie Maria Buckingham.
He was a Seaman Royal Navy.
Thier son, Marwood, born 8/4/1887 in Stoke Dameral Devon is my grandfather.
Elizabeth DARK (born circa 1783 at Barnstaple, Devon) gave birth to an
illegitimate daughter Elizabeth (bap 5 July 1821 in the Parish of
Rustington, Sussex). Both mother and daughter migrated to
Australia in 1822. I believe that Elizabeth DARK senior had been
married (don't know if DARK is maiden or married name and had four other
children, but that she left husband and children in a workhouse).
- Northern NSW, Australia
- Richard DARK/E married 7 March 1741/42 Frances Slade
- Esther DARK born 1743, married in Monkleigh 4 Jul 1766 Thomas Lamerton.
- Elizabeth DARK born 1747
- Roger DARK born 1756
Thomasine (Tamzin?) DARK born ~1783 married 1804 Bideford Thomas CHANTER.
- Period of interest:
- 17c - 19c (Barnstaple,DEV)
19 - 20c (Reading,BRK & Maidenhead)
- Earliest known ancestor with this surname:
- Thomas DARKE married Honnor HEAL at Kilkhampton, CON on 10 Jun 1679.
Thomas' parents were probably William and Susan DARKE.
- More recent generations:
- John Darke married Elizabeth Bowen
- Edward Rolle DARK.
- William DARK c. 1773-Jan-17 in Barnstaple. d. 1773.
My Darke family are from Sidbury in Devon.
William Darke born abt 1760
married Mary Page/Paige born abt 1760.
Ann Darke c. 1782-Nov-8.
William Darke c. 1799-Nov-5;
married Elizabeth born abt 1803.
Elizabeth Darke c. 1828-Dec-21;
married 5 April 1849 to William Elston Northcott.
- Warburton, UK
All events in Littleham, except as noted. George and Susannah Gaurd are my 4th great-grandparents.
- Mark Dark
- Elizabeth Dark bapt. 1746-Mar-9;
married 1777-May-1 Thos. Snell.
- Mark Dark;
married 1771-Jun-12 Joanna Snow.
- Susannah Dark bapt. 1754-Jul-27, died 1831-Jul-15 Northam.
married 1780-Jun-19 George Gaurd.
- Jane Dark;
married 1761 Richard Bridgmen.
- John Dark
married 1783 Mary Hodge.
- Exeter, UK - WebPage
My family were in Twerton Bath from 1881 to about 1950. Peter is my 4xGreat grandfather.
John Darke born 1750, died Honiton Devon 1835. Cordwainer and
Clerk of the New Honiton Meeting House.
John had a sister Mary who married William Horner.
He may also have had a brother William.
- James (1772-1837) born & died in Honiton.
- John (1777-1845) born & died in Honiton.
- Peter (1781-1859) born & died in Honiton.
- Michigan, USA
- Thomas Dark. My great-great-grandfather. Wife's name Mary.
- Thomas Dark born about 1798 in Woolfordisworthy, near Bideford, Devon, England.
- John Dark birthdate unknown; baptism November 7, 1825.
- James George Dark born May24, 1827; baptism June 5, 1827.
- Edwin Dark born March 5, 1829; baptism March 19,1829 in Devon, England.
- Edwin's first marriage to Eliza Collins in England, probably Devon.
Eliza was born about 1830.
Eliza died July 5, 1874 in Beachville, Ontario, Canada.
- Dorothy Dark, only child, birthdate unknown.
- Edwin's second marriage to Harriet Collins Jones (believed to be Eliza's sister) in Beachville, Ontario, August 23, 1875.
Harriet was born about 1841, probably in Clovelly, England.
Harriet died about 1905, in Beachville.
Harriet Collins Jones Dark was previously married to William Robert Samuel Jones on October 12, 1867 in Clovelly, Devon, England.
William was born about 1841 in Devonshire, perhaps Hartland.
- Edward John Collins Dark, only child, born October 13, 1877, in Beachville, Ontario.
- William Jones
- Ada Jones
- Mary Elizabeth Dark born May 7, 1831; baptism June 16, 1831.
- William Daniel Dark born March 27, 1833; baptism April 12, 1833.
- Lewis Dark born July 17,1835; baptism September 20, 1835.
From the will (dated 1828) of John Marsh of Black Torrington who had a
leasehold property called "East Totely" at Hatherleigh,
his daughters were:
The will also mentions a sister Grace Vanstone and an Elizabeth Kirkleigh of
Blacktorrington and a niece also Ann Marsh of Petrockstowe.
- Nancy who was married to James (or Thomas) Tauton (or Tanton) of
Petrockstowe. They had 2 daughters - Elizabeth Tauton and Ann Marsh Tauton.
- Mary who was married to John Darke of Petrockstowe - they had a daughter Ann Marsh Darke.
John died in 1831.
If it's the person I think it is he was born at Buckland Brewer in 1757 making
His wife was Mary but she could have died before him as he did a codicil in 1829.
- W. Townsend, MA, USA
Elizabeth Dark, born in Woolfardisworth, Devon, England around 1827-1833 (father William Dark, labourer).
She married Charles Barnacoat on 30-Jul-1854 Bideford. She was 27, spinster; he was 50, widower, master baker.
They resided at 37 Mill Street in Bideford.
Elizabeth had at least four children:
Elizabeth was widowed in 1870 and continued on as head of the household,
working as a baker and living on Mill St. in Bideford.
- Emma Barnacoat b. 1858
- Jane Barnacoat b. 1861
- Harriet Barnacoat b. 1864
- Charles Barnacoat b. 1868
Dark[e] outside Devon
- Kansas City, MO, USA
- James Baker Dark
b: Abt. 1780 in England.
b: Abt. 1784 in England
m: in England.
- Eleanor Dark b: October 06, 1805 in St. Pancras, London, England.
- Helen Hastie Dark
b: 1806 in London, England
d: August 11, 1862 in Australia.
+Frederick John Plumridge
b: 1814 in Berkshire, England,
d: January 29, 1857 in Australia.
m: 1839 in Bloomsbury, London, England.
- Janet Hastie Dark b: April 08, 1808.
- James Dark b: August 06, 1810.
- William Dark b: Abt. 1814.
- John McConochie Dark b: Abt. 1819.
- Elizabeth Dark b: Abt. 1822.
- Letitia Hastie Dark
b: June 07, 1825 in St. Pancras, London, England.
b: 1825 in St. Pancras, London, England.
m: February 14, 1844 in St. Paul's Westminster Soho.
- Leicester, UK
Thomas DARK married Sarah DARK in Corsham WILTS in 1816
Thomas was from Broughton Gifford Wilts born 1796. Parents Isaac Dark and Ann - yeoman farmers.
Sarah was from Broughton Gifford Wilts born 1793. Parents Stephen Dark and Mary.
They moved to Ramsbury by 1824 where Thomas was overseer of the poor
there. He is buried in Broughton Gifford in 1825 and said to be of Ramsbury.
Sarah Dark migrated to the USA age 33 on ships list for 1834 Barque
"Woodman" from Bristol to New York with Ann 9, Sarah12, John 13 &
Benjamin age 23.
- Sarah DARK b: Jul 1821, Wiltshire England d: 10 Dec 1888, Lincoln Co WA
Sarah married William Wainwright in Clermont Co OH in 1838.
- Ann Sarah Earle DARK b: 11 Nov 1824, Ramsbury, Wiltshire England UK
[baptism in PR 1825] d: 2 Feb 1892, Wilbur, Lincoln Co, Washington, USA.
Ann married John W Thompson in 1844 in Clermont Co OH.
- ?John? DARK
Benjamin DARK seems to be a younger brother of Sarah's deceased
husband Thomas DARK. If so his parents were also Isaac and Ann DARK.
My Darkes are almost all the ones located in the City of
Worcester, well the poorer ones anyway who worked on the river
Severn during the C18-C19 period. I currently have details on
some 250 people mostly living in Worcester with the surname
Darke and the odd Dark.
- William Darke m Katherine Nowlon? (Oct 1667) at Worcester
- Children: William; Leonard & Peter
- Leonard Darke m Elizabeth
- Children: 8 including Leonard (1698/99)
- Leonard Darke m Mary Brewer (Nov 1724) at Worcester.
- Children: George & Leonard
- Leonard Darke m Mary Pudding (Jan 1751/52)
- Children: 6 including Leonard (Sept 1762)
- Leonard Darke m Mary Marsh (Mar 1783)
- Children: 5 including Leonard (May 1788)
- Leonard Darke m Mary Cope (Feb 1823)
- Children: 9 including Jane (Nov 1836)
- Jane Darke m William Warman (Apr 1860)
- Children: 8 including my GGrandma.
William DARKE, b. 1764, d. Oct. 1807 Worcester. Funeral 1 Nov., 1807, (St. Andrew's Parish records), m. Nancy Ann GREEN, b. about 1762, d. 31 Jan 1827
- Henry b. 1787, d. 23 Feb 1820, Worcester, m. Maria GRIFFITHS
- James, b. 1790
- William, b. Nov. 1793, Worcester, (St. Andrew's Parish records) d. 7 Nov 1838 Worcester, m. Mary.
Children Mary Ann, William, George.
- Frederick, b. 15 Aug 1796 or 1801, Worcester, (1851 Census St. Martin's Parish, Birmingham), d. 21 Sep 1872 Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, master tailor, resided Birmingham, England m. Ann SMEDLEY
This Freeman record was found on Ancestry:
- Richard Darke, b. ca. 1762-1772 in England d. 10 Jun 1837 in Bloomingdale, New York Co., NY.
resided 1806 in Bloomingdale, New York Co., NY, occupation 1806 butcher,
resided 1808 in NYC, New York Co., NY,
resided 1810 in NYC, New York Co., NY,
resided 1812 in Bloomingdale, New York Co., NY,
resided ca. 1830s at Bloomingdale Rd and 74th St.
- Maria Foster, married ca. 1800, b. ca. 1779 in England? d. 28 Mar 1818? in New York,9 buried 1818 in St. Michael's Churchyard, NYC, New York Co., NY
Children: Charles (b. ca. 1806), John (b. ca. 1808), Sarah (17 Sep 1809), Henry (b. 17 Nov 1812), Maria (b. 22 Nov 1815), George (b. ca. 1817).
- Elizabeth Holmes, married 9 Jun 1817 or 1819 in NYC, New York Co., NY, b. ca. 1792 in Westchester Co., NY (daughter of Nathaniel Holmes and Anna Brady) d. 16 Apr 1859 in NYC, New York Co., NY, Broadway, buried 18 Apr 1859
Children: Elizabeth (b. ca. 1819), Edward (b. ca. 1826), Nathaniel (b. Oct 1828).
July 5 1802 Edward Darke of Plymouth, butcher, son of Richard Darke, butcher, by succession; also Edward Darke Butcher 1 - - - Volunteer in 1803 militia.
This Richard and Edward are probably the father and brother of Richard Darke in USA because:
- Both Richard's are from England
- Both Richard's are butchers; also many sons of Richard in USA.
- The name Darke is not very common.
- Family in USA has sons named Richard and Edward in several generations.